Close

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bustalot View Post
    in jr High there was this goof-off trouble kid, he had adopted the mannerisms of black gangsters you see on TV and tried his best to dress like them. And he was the only white kid doing this at our school. Kriss Kross came out with their clothes that were built backwards.... but this kid in my jr high literally started wearing his jeans backwards and shit. This was like around 1992-93. But i always thought the way he limped around, held his hand over his dick constantly, and leaned and talked in ebonics was cringey as hell
    There's subtleties to this stuff, though. For example... I most certainly adopt things that I appreciate...that I've seen somewhere, that I think are cool and I want to do or wear or whatever...myself.

If we do an infinite regress, we all do that kind of thing right...

but this phenomenon with the FULL ON wiggerdome was different in that it was a shameless FULL ON NO REMORSE copy cat of an entire persona...so maybe it deserves me being a hater, and sort of hypocrite about it....lol, but I dunno.

I had a breakthrough on this crap when I was like 22. I was always hard headed about people straight copying other people, and how wiggers started popping up everywhere and it was cringey, 2 me.

But I was big into basketball, and I saw this kid who wore wrist bands (socially, not on the court) and then this other kid who was a friend of mine started to. I gave him a hard time for copying.

Then I saw in the sneaker stores they started having all the colors, and some looked dope and I thought would actually enhance my look if I'm being honest.

So I apologized to my friend for being a hater and I started rocking them sometimes. I dunno.
    Last edited by g.t.; 06-15-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sir Bustalot

Was it even Saturday morning in the 90s if you didn’t turn on Much Music and see this on the countdown

they got amnesia

Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    This false, Organik & Grindtime popularized battle rap, Canadian hip hop has much deeper roots, with black people. Battle rappers can’t make songs, usually lol. — Like hip hop roots, Maestro, Choclair, The Rascalz, k-os, k’naan if you want to include him.

I could argue that K-Os inspired people like Kid Cudi, Chance the Rapper, I’ll even take it so far to say he influenced people like Andre 3000

Not a lot of people know about the roots of Canadian hip hop. They’re deep, and without being biased I feel like we started a lot of trends that trickled down below.

I love Canadian hip hop / music, it’s actually great
    Oh I wasn't hating on Canadian hip-hop, just a group of individuals I'm familiar with from Toronto.

Organik took battle rap to a new level, thats for sure - he isn't authentic, to me though.....he's that idiot in middle school who couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag but somehow acts hard. Have you ever seen him do his pouty lips pose and fake batting of his eye-lashes when he daps someone like he saw on MTV in 1996? lol. I'm probably being too hard on him.

Mentioned
    847 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sir Bustalot

Was it even Saturday morning in the 90s if you didn’t turn on Much Music and see this on the countdown

oh man, and i lived for the rapcity segment!
    Outwardly there is cronological time. The mind has applied this internally, it says, logically there is time its obvious. So then the mind thinks within time. I am a little depressed now, but i will get to a state of non depression later. The now and later is the time. Takes time to get from here to there. This is also creating a duality. Two things. I am this(the now), i will be that(the later). Simple things like this make you believe in theres a me controlling the thinking.
    nawmchomsky?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by g.t. View Post
    Oh I wasn't hating on Canadian hip-hop, just a group of individuals I'm familiar with from Toronto.

Organik took battle rap to a new level, thats for sure - he isn't authentic, to me though.....he's that idiot in middle school who couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag but somehow acts hard. Have you ever seen him do his pouty lips pose and fake batting of his eye-lashes when he daps someone like he saw on MTV in 1996? lol. I'm probably being too hard on him.
    I knew a couple battle rappers personally, Loe Pesci & Osa were from around my way. Loe Pesci’s dad is a popular chef in Montreal.
    they got amnesia

Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew a couple battle rappers personally, Loe Pesci & Osa were from around my way. Loe Pesci’s dad is a popular chef in Montreal.
    Do you know what happened to Loe?

Loe was doing exactly what I'm talking about. Doing this made up persona in his music like he's hard. (his music aint that bad btw)

Then, an ACTUAL gangster named Daylyte - wiped his ball sweat all over Loe's face, on camera, in a battle....and Loe was too shy to do a single thing about it.

It was kinda perfect. Not that I'm into that kind of bullying...but sometimes a reality check can be good for the soul type of thing

Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loe was doing exactly what I'm talking about. Doing this made up persona in his music like he's hard. (his music aint that bad btw)

Then, an ACTUAL gangster named Daylyte - wiped his ball sweat all over Loe's face, on camera, in a battle....and Loe was too shy to do a single thing about it.

It was kinda perfect. Not that I'm into that kind of bullying...but sometimes a reality check can be good for the soul type of thing
    that shit was so awkward

one thing I'll say though, Organik is a hard worker. the complete opposite of a lot of the jealous losers in Toronto hiphop who wanted to cry and bitch about Drake getting a deal instead of networking

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped watching battle rap a long time ago, but I have him on Facebook. He works with his father now as a chef.
    they got amnesia

Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWarchief View Post
    that shit was so awkward

one thing I'll say though, Organik is a hard worker. the complete opposite of a lot of the jealous losers in Toronto hiphop who wanted to cry and bitch about Drake getting a deal instead of networking
    yeah, he deserves credit for building his company's brand. i wont knock his hustle - i also used to like the matchups he put together, too

Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped watching battle rap a long time ago, but I have him on Facebook. He works with his father now as a chef.
    I hope he's doing well. All I was getting at, really, was that sometimes emulating stuff that you thought was just to look cool can actually come to get ya when you're faced with where that shit actually came from. I don't actually even know what I'm rambling about any more, honestly....I've had way too much coffee, have a slow work day, and need to get my mini-me's off the bus soon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast