How are you with taking feedback?

Big Moose
Posts: 1408
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by Big Moose »

J o o k wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:20 pm
Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 pm
J o o k wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:44 pm The catalyst is we have a member here that’s kind of talented but doesn’t take or incorporate any feedback so they’ll never be anything more than they are now, they can’t grow.
Why do you have to be a condescending dick like this?

I didn't insult you I just told you why I disagree with your criticism. Or not even disagree necessarily, but see it differently.

Perhaps I came off sensitive due to it being a thread full of hate. Its easy to lump in genuine criticism with trolling.

But then you're obviously trolling on a certain level now and have trolled me bout my music in the past, so how am i to know when you're being genuine?

Either way, I just don't understand your random mood shifts. We'd been getting along fine but you gotta go back to talking down to me like this for no reason.

Thanks for calling me kinda talented.

I agree
Who said I’m talking about you bro? How do you take feedback at work? Coachable?
lol you're usually better at gas lighting than that tbh

i take criticism fairly poorly

I'd say most rappers do. Its a highly sensitive genre

But I take all criticism poorly. But it is because i feel it deeply, pause, and see it as a reflection of my self worth or lack there of.

i suppose
J o o k
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by J o o k »

Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:29 pm
J o o k wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:20 pm
Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 pm

Why do you have to be a condescending dick like this?

I didn't insult you I just told you why I disagree with your criticism. Or not even disagree necessarily, but see it differently.

Perhaps I came off sensitive due to it being a thread full of hate. Its easy to lump in genuine criticism with trolling.

But then you're obviously trolling on a certain level now and have trolled me bout my music in the past, so how am i to know when you're being genuine?

Either way, I just don't understand your random mood shifts. We'd been getting along fine but you gotta go back to talking down to me like this for no reason.

Thanks for calling me kinda talented.

I agree
Who said I’m talking about you bro? How do you take feedback at work? Coachable?
lol you're usually better at gas lighting than that tbh

i take criticism fairly poorly

I'd say most rappers do. Its a highly sensitive genre

But I take all criticism poorly. But it is because i feel it deeply, pause, and see it as a reflection of my self worth or lack there of.

i suppose
What you’re saying makes sense. As a man, that works extremely hard, and has a good understanding of the world, it’s difficult to have shortcomings pointed out. I had a very hard time because I thought I was the best. But even the best has a coach, Brady had a throwing coach, Lebron has many coaches from strength to shooting coaches. If the best in the world are willing to admit they have weaknesses and shore those up via being coached and taking feedback to improve, why can’t we? Ego.
Big Moose
Posts: 1408
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by Big Moose »

Yes but then who should my coach be?

No offense to any of yall, everyone has a valid music opinion and i wouldn't post my shit here if i didn't care at all about those opinions, but I value mine over any of yours, specifically when it comes to rapping, writing bars and spitting in general. If you aint Cire, chances are you couldn't hold a candle to my rap abilities when at my best.

Once upon a time it was sort of Mota in that coach role. But that was more of a competitive friendship/rivalry. He was more advanced and polished in ways back then but I was very competitive and we brought out the best of each other.

I need a Dre or someone to be a partner (pause) and somewhat of a guide thru certain aspects. But everybody local round here DOES suck.

and sidenote

If i HAD fully listened to the oceans of criticism I've received on the boards over the years, I would have stopped rapping like 15 years ago. I wouldn't be as good as I am now. That voice inside that says "nah, fuck everybody" has been more trustworthy and productive for me than any internet advice likely ever will.

But thats just me trying to illustrate the two sides of that same coin
Big Moose
Posts: 1408
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by Big Moose »

to summarize

i agree a trusted mentor and feedback would be great

but how do you find that person and how do you decide which criticism to ignore or write off as hate and which to really take in?
Big Moose
Posts: 1408
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by Big Moose »

lastly

to rap the way i do, sound the way i do, living where I live and being from where Im from, it is very obvious that I am observant of the world and highly discerning as to what rap SHOULD sound like and what NOT to do as a white rapper.

Criticisms and "fake wrestler voice" insults aside, I do not sound like a typical swagless white backpack rapper, so acting like im oblivious to how im perceived or....i dunno... too lost in whiteness to understand what good rap is...

it just strikes me as dumb i guess.

perhaps that was an unnecessary tangent

oh well
Resilient
Site Admin
Posts: 2489
Joined: Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 am

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by Resilient »

Big Moose wrote:
J o o k wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:20 pm
Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 pm Why do you have to be a condescending dick like this?

I didn't insult you I just told you why I disagree with your criticism. Or not even disagree necessarily, but see it differently.

Perhaps I came off sensitive due to it being a thread full of hate. Its easy to lump in genuine criticism with trolling.

But then you're obviously trolling on a certain level now and have trolled me bout my music in the past, so how am i to know when you're being genuine?

Either way, I just don't understand your random mood shifts. We'd been getting along fine but you gotta go back to talking down to me like this for no reason.

Thanks for calling me kinda talented.

I agree
Who said I’m talking about you bro? How do you take feedback at work? Coachable?
lol you're usually better at gas lighting than that tbh

i take criticism fairly poorly

I'd say most rappers do. Its a highly sensitive genre

But I take all criticism poorly. But it is because i feel it deeply, pause, and see it as a reflection of my self worth or lack there of.

i suppose
You’re not a rapper.

Stop.


==========

A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from his friends - Baltasar Gracian
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
But it ain't about how hard you hit.
It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
How much you can take and keep moving forward.
J o o k
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by J o o k »

Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:49 pm Yes but then who should my coach be?

No offense to any of yall, everyone has a valid music opinion and i wouldn't post my shit here if i didn't care at all about those opinions, but I value mine over any of yours, specifically when it comes to rapping, writing bars and spitting in general. If you aint Cire, chances are you couldn't hold a candle to my rap abilities when at my best.

Once upon a time it was sort of Mota in that coach role. But that was more of a competitive friendship/rivalry. He was more advanced and polished in ways back then but I was very competitive and we brought out the best of each other.

I need a Dre or someone to be a partner (pause) and somewhat of a guide thru certain aspects. But everybody local round here DOES suck.

and sidenote

If i HAD fully listened to the oceans of criticism I've received on the boards over the years, I would have stopped rapping like 15 years ago. I wouldn't be as good as I am now. That voice inside that says "nah, fuck everybody" has been more trustworthy and productive for me than any internet advice likely ever will.

But thats just me trying to illustrate the two sides of that same coin
Those are apples to oranges, we are giving you feedback because we know what good looks like. If everyone is saying the same thing and you refuse to listen, it’s your choice lol. Kinda wild though.
cody
Posts: 3936
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 5:05 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by cody »

Big Moose, I think the poiint being made here is that your music lacks personality and soul which makes it difficult to connect with as a listener. it also lacks replay value. replay value matters because you want views. views = good

we understand that you enjoy a specific style of writing, and rapping - it's battle rap music. you make music like a battle rapper. The Loe Pesci's, the Benders etc - on some KOTD battle rapper in his prime shit

you have a solid voice and flow, but your subject matter is lackadaisical, and your beat choice is comfortable. you stay in your comfort zone. show us some different flows, different rhythm, difference subject matters etc

your posts here are vulnerable and have personality - if you could somehow package that + trying some different sounding beats + try some new melodies

it would be something to look forward to

you've established you can rap. but that's all it sounds like.. if you're okay with that, that's fine too.
:mrgreen:
J o o k
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by J o o k »

Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:49 pm Yes but then who should my coach be?

No offense to any of yall, everyone has a valid music opinion and i wouldn't post my shit here if i didn't care at all about those opinions, but I value mine over any of yours, specifically when it comes to rapping, writing bars and spitting in general. If you aint Cire, chances are you couldn't hold a candle to my rap abilities when at my best.

Once upon a time it was sort of Mota in that coach role. But that was more of a competitive friendship/rivalry. He was more advanced and polished in ways back then but I was very competitive and we brought out the best of each other.

I need a Dre or someone to be a partner (pause) and somewhat of a guide thru certain aspects. But everybody local round here DOES suck.

and sidenote

If i HAD fully listened to the oceans of criticism I've received on the boards over the years, I would have stopped rapping like 15 years ago. I wouldn't be as good as I am now. That voice inside that says "nah, fuck everybody" has been more trustworthy and productive for me than any internet advice likely ever will.

But thats just me trying to illustrate the two sides of that same coin
Those are apples to oranges, we are giving you feedback because we know what good looks like. If everyone is saying the same thing and you refuse to listen, it’s your choice lol. Kinda wild though.
J o o k
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 pm

Re: How are you with taking feedback?

Post by J o o k »

Big Moose wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:52 pm to summarize

i agree a trusted mentor and feedback would be great

but how do you find that person and how do you decide which criticism to ignore or write off as hate and which to really take in?
It’s a question we all must answer brother
Post Reply